‘Logan’ Writer and Director Re-Team for Corrupt Cop Thriller ‘The Force’

Thumbnail for 200608

After making history with their Oscar-nominated script for Logan, director James Mangold and co-writer Scott Frank are joining forces again, according to Deadline. In fact, they’re re-teaming for a movie called The Force. No, it’s not another Star Wars story. The Force is an adaptation of the highly acclaimed and best-selling 2017 novel by Don Winslow (Savages). Frank is currently rewriting the script, which previously was in the hands of David Mamet.

Mangold had already been involved, since a year ago, working with producers Ridley Scott, Shane Salerno (Savages) and Kevin J. Walsh (Manchester by the Sea), and 20th Century Fox has a release date in place for less than a year from now. Mangold is no stranger to the subject of…
Read More

‘Star Wars’ Creator George Lucas Breaks Ground on Museum of Narrative Art

Thumbnail for 200600

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away (a.k.a. Chicago), “Star Wars” creator George Lucas envisioned building a grand museum dedicated to storytelling, as well as housing his vast personal collection of “Star Wars” artifacts and other pop culture memorabilia. After a few roadblocks and a location change, Lucas finally broke ground on the ambitious project this week in Los Angeles.

Lucas was on hand Wednesday for the official groundbreaking ceremony for the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art, which is located in L.A.’s Exposition Park, near the University of Southern California campus (where Lucas attended film school). The 300,000 square foot museum will feature five floors with a mixture of gallery space, a cafe and restaurant, theaters, lecture halls, classrooms, and a library that will be open to the public.

That last point is a vital component of the museum, Lucas told media gathered at the groundbreaking, explaining that he planned on showcasing contemporary works by up-and-coming artists and filmmakers alongside those by famous names like Degas, Renoir, Norman Rockwell, Maurice Sendak, and classic films like “Citizen Kane,” “Casablanca,” “The Wizard of Oz,” and “The Ten Commandments.” The museum will also regularly feature workshops and lectures that will welcome everyone, and encourage those who are interested in becoming storytellers themselves.

Of course, there will be plenty of “Star Wars” memorabilia showcased, too, including Luke Skywalker’s first lightsaber and Darth Vader’s helmet. Lucas’s longtime pal and collaborator, Steven Spielberg, will also have items from some of his films represented, including the “Indiana Jones” series. (Spielberg, who was also present at the groundbreaking ceremony, recently joined the museum’s board.)

“Yes, this is an art museum, but I’m trying to position it also as an anthropological museum,” Lucas said. “Popular art is an insight into a society and what they aspire to, what they really want, what they really are. Because it’s telling the narrative of their story, their history, their belief system. … We have to share a history, we have to share heroes.”

The Lucas Museum of Narrative Art is slated to open sometime in 2021.

[via: CBS Los Angeles, Variety]

Danny Boyle Confirms He’s Working on James Bond Movie

Thumbnail for 200596

While the mystery of who will play James Bond in his next adventure has finally been settled (welcome back, Daniel Craig), the latest slot that needed filling on the film was the director’s chair. Now, it appears that Danny Boyle has officially confirmed that he’s the one who will take the high-profile gig.

Boyle’s name had been floating around for months as a possible heir to recent Bond helmer Sam Mendes (“Skyfall,” “Spectre”), but his involvement was only a rumor. That changed when Boyle spoke to Metro this week about Bond 25.

“We are working on a script right now,” the director told Metro. “And it all depends on that really. I am working on a Richard Curtis script at the moment. We hope to start shooting that in 6 or 7 weeks. Then Bond would be right at the end of the year. But we are working on them both right now.”

That Richard Curtis project that Boyle is referring to is a mysterious “music-themed comedy,” the details of which are being kept under wraps for now. While some speculated that that flick — which Boyle is directing and Curtis (“Love Actually,” “Notting Hill”) is writing — would conflict too much with Bond 25 for Boyle to work on both, it looks like the director has a plan in place to fit each into his schedule.

Still, Boyle’s comments are a bit cautious. He told Metro that he was working with screenwriter John Hodge on a previous idea that the pair had hatched, and that “it all depends on how it turns out.”

Hmm. Does that mean that he won’t direct if he’s dissatisfied with Hodge’s script? It certainly sounds like he’s hedging his bets, in case he decides to bail on the flick.

Whatever his plans are, Boyle remained fairly tight-lipped about the project.

“John is writing it at the moment,” the director told Metro. ” … It would be foolish of me to give any of it away.”

Stay tuned. Bond 25 is currently slated to hit theaters sometime in November 2019.

[via: Metro]

Director Danny Boyle Confirms James Bond 25 Involvement

Thumbnail for 200594

Update: Danny Boyle confirmed that he is now working on a the next installment in the James Bond series. He told Metro US: “We’ve got an idea, John Hodge, the screenwriter, and I have got this idea, and John is writing it at the moment. And it all depends on how it turns out. … Bond would be right at the end of the year.”

Boyle and Hodge have collaborated frequently over the years, most recently on T2: Trainspotting. The filmmaker is also working on a script with Richard Curtis (Love, Actually), which he hopes to start shooting in six or seven weeks.

(Original post follows.)

After falling short with his recent Trainspotting follow-up, Danny Boyle might get a chance at a sure-thing sequel. According to Variety, the Oscar-winning director…
Read More