- The Week in Movie News: A Marvel Icon Passed On, The First 'Detective Pikachu' Trailer Debuted and More
- Today in Movie Culture: 'Back to the Future' Delorean Hovercraft, Joe Taslim as Marvel's Namor and More
- DVD Obscura: 'Never Goin' Back,' 'King Cohen,' 'Mandy' and Much More
- Today in Movie Culture: The Sound Design of the 'Harry Potter' Movies, Pixar Shorts Easter Eggs and More
- Find Your Courage in First 'Dumbo' Trailer; Here's Everything We Know
As long as you’re going to remake a movie, you might as well do something different with the material. That’s why musical remakes are so much more interesting than straight rehashes. They tend to follow the original movie being turned into a Broadway musical with that stage production then being re-adapted for the screen. We’ve seen it recently with Hairspray and The Producers but music-infused remakes used to be a pretty common occurrence in Hollywood.
Now Steven Spielberg is getting in on the fun. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the director, who is also currently at work on a redo of the musical West Side Story, is revisiting the Alice Walker novel The Color Purple, which he previously turned into an Oscar-nominated motion picture back in 1985 (the…