- 'Venom' Comes Home, Plus This Week's New Digital HD and VOD Releases
- First 'Avengers: Endgame' Trailer Arrives as Release Date Moves Up; Here's Everything We Know
- Today in Movie Culture: All of Christian Bale's Physical Transformations, a History of Italian Horror and More
- The Last Horror Blog: 'Suspiria,' 'Halloween,' 'The Demonologist' and More
- 2019 Golden Globe Award Nominations: 'Vice' and 'The Favourite' Lead All As 'Black Panther' Makes History
Nowadays, sci-fi movies are often touted more for their perceived demographics than their specific genre. Perhaps that’s why The Darkest Minds (above) did not fare well at the box office this past weekend among sci-fi fans, even though it’s set in an future world where the only children who have survived a pandemic have developed strange new powers that frighten the government.
Thinking about this in the broader sense, one dictionary defines science fiction as “fiction based on imagined future scientific or technological advances and major social or environmental changes, frequently portraying space or time travel and life on other planets.” With that definition in mind, here are three upcoming sci-fi movies that offer alternative worlds and bleak…