- Comics on Film: What We Know about 'Green Lantern Corps' and Tom Cruise
- Today in Movie Culture: Superman vs. Skeletor, the Trademarks of a Peter Berg Movie and More
- The Week in Movie News: First Look at Live-Action 'Mulan,' Dora the Explorer' and More
- Today in Movie Culture: 'Avengers: Infinity War' as a Video Game, Imagining Tom Cruise as Green Lantern and More
- DVD Obscura: 'Lean on Pete,' 'Ismael's Ghosts,' 'Hitler's Hollywood' and Much More
Simply put, Mission: Impossible – Fallout is the best action thriller of the summer. Combining elaborate and exciting action sequences with a character drama that explores the psyche of undercover agent Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) and his IMF teammates (Simon Pegg, Ving Rhames and Alec Baldwin), as well as wild card agents (Henry Cavill, Rebecca Ferguson) and more (Angela Bassett, Vanessa Kirby, Michelle Monaghan, Sean Harris) adds up to an intoxicating mix that proved irresistible at the box office this weekend. The film earned $61 million, a franchise high and also the second highest opening for Cruise.
So, yes, Mission: Impossible – Fallout sets a very high standard for the next three action thrillers that will follow its path into movie theaters. Yet each one promises its own…