- Next 3 Long-awaited Sequels: 'The Girl in the Spider's Web,' 'Mary Poppins Returns,' 'Zombieland 2'
- Comics on Film: With No Movies in Sight, Would a Return to TV Be Better for Superman?
- Today in Movie Culture: 'Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse' Music Video, Harrison Ford in 'Solo' and More
- The Week in Movie News: Idris Elba Joins 'Cats,' the Warrens Return in 'Annabelle 3' and More
- Today in Movie Culture: 'Ant-Man and the Wasp' Alternate Endings and VFX Breakdown and More
Simply put, Mission: Impossible – Fallout is the best action thriller of the summer. Combining elaborate and exciting action sequences with a character drama that explores the psyche of undercover agent Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) and his IMF teammates (Simon Pegg, Ving Rhames and Alec Baldwin), as well as wild card agents (Henry Cavill, Rebecca Ferguson) and more (Angela Bassett, Vanessa Kirby, Michelle Monaghan, Sean Harris) adds up to an intoxicating mix that proved irresistible at the box office this weekend. The film earned $61 million, a franchise high and also the second highest opening for Cruise.
So, yes, Mission: Impossible – Fallout sets a very high standard for the next three action thrillers that will follow its path into movie theaters. Yet each one promises its own…