- First 'Toy Story 4' Trailer Teases Fun to Come; Here's Everything We Know
- In 'Widows,' Crime Gets a New Face; Here's Everything We Know
- Next 3 Major Family Movies: 'A Dog's Way Home,' 'The Kid Who Would Be King,' 'Dumbo'
- The Week in Movie News: Spielberg Revisiting 'The Color Purple,' First 'Missing Link' Trailer and More
- Today in Movie Culture: How 'Fantastic Beasts 2' Connects to 'Harry Potter,' Why the Grinch is Right and More
We now know with a greater degree of certainty that the proposed origin film for infamous DC Comics villain the Joker will be happening, to star Joaquin Phoenix and to be directed by Todd Phillips. In the past, Comics on Film has speculated at least twice before on the idea of a Joker stand-alone movie that isn’t a part of the fabric of the DC Extended Universe, and we’ve both questioned the need for its existence, while also celebrating the possibilities it could present for comics-based cinema.
Now that this seems to be on the fast track, everything that’s been released publicly about the movie seems to show a bit of a troubling trend in terms of its adaptive philosophy. Will this movie try to be a solid adaptation of, arguably, comics’ greatest villain? Or…