- Patrick Stewart Joins the 'Charlie's Angels' Reboot; Here's Everything We Know
- The First 'Captain Marvel' Trailer Has Landed; Here's Everything We Know So Far
- DVD Obscura: Ethan Hawke Shines in 'First Reformed,' Plus More Essentials for Home Video Fans
- First 'Captain Marvel' Trailer Arrives Tuesday Morning; Here's Everything We Know So Far
- Today in Movie Culture: 'Predator' Meets 'Home Alone,' Imagining Michael B. Jordan as Superman and More
We now know with a greater degree of certainty that the proposed origin film for infamous DC Comics villain the Joker will be happening, to star Joaquin Phoenix and to be directed by Todd Phillips. In the past, Comics on Film has speculated at least twice before on the idea of a Joker stand-alone movie that isn’t a part of the fabric of the DC Extended Universe, and we’ve both questioned the need for its existence, while also celebrating the possibilities it could present for comics-based cinema.
Now that this seems to be on the fast track, everything that’s been released publicly about the movie seems to show a bit of a troubling trend in terms of its adaptive philosophy. Will this movie try to be a solid adaptation of, arguably, comics’ greatest villain? Or…