- Patrick Stewart Joins the 'Charlie's Angels' Reboot; Here's Everything We Know
- The First 'Captain Marvel' Trailer Has Landed; Here's Everything We Know So Far
- DVD Obscura: Ethan Hawke Shines in 'First Reformed,' Plus More Essentials for Home Video Fans
- First 'Captain Marvel' Trailer Arrives Tuesday Morning; Here's Everything We Know So Far
- Today in Movie Culture: 'Predator' Meets 'Home Alone,' Imagining Michael B. Jordan as Superman and More
After Marvel Studios reportedly vetted more than 70 women filmmakers for the job, then the selection was down to three shortlisted favorites, Cate Shortland has been hired to direct the solo Black Widow movie, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Shortland is a relatively unknown filmmaker who hails from Australia. But she’s been a big deal on the festival circuit with award-winning shorts and features, the latter including the 2012 Nazi drama Lore and last year’s Sundance selection Berlin Syndrome.
Apparently, Scarlett Johansson, who will reprise her role as Black Widow for the Marvel Cinematic Universe installment, pushed for Shortland. Find out more below.
Previous update: Fans have been begging Marvel for a Black Widow movie for almost a decade and now the…