- The Last Horror Blog: 'Ma,' 'The Curse of La Llorona,' 'Happy Death Day 2U'
- Today in Movie Culture: The Making of Movie Tie-In Action Figures, More Robert Pattinson as Batman Fan Art and More
- Edgy Octavia Spencer Stars in 'Ma'; Here's Everything We Know
- Danny Boyle's 'Yesterday' Gets First Trailer; Here's Everything We Know
- Today in Movie Culture: 'Aladdin' Meets 'It,' 'RoboCop' in Real Life and More
After Marvel Studios reportedly vetted more than 70 women filmmakers for the job, then the selection was down to three shortlisted favorites, Cate Shortland has been hired to direct the solo Black Widow movie, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Shortland is a relatively unknown filmmaker who hails from Australia. But she’s been a big deal on the festival circuit with award-winning shorts and features, the latter including the 2012 Nazi drama Lore and last year’s Sundance selection Berlin Syndrome.
Apparently, Scarlett Johansson, who will reprise her role as Black Widow for the Marvel Cinematic Universe installment, pushed for Shortland. Find out more below.
Previous update: Fans have been begging Marvel for a Black Widow movie for almost a decade and now the…