- First 'Toy Story 4' Trailer Teases Fun to Come; Here's Everything We Know
- In 'Widows,' Crime Gets a New Face; Here's Everything We Know
- Next 3 Major Family Movies: 'A Dog's Way Home,' 'The Kid Who Would Be King,' 'Dumbo'
- The Week in Movie News: Spielberg Revisiting 'The Color Purple,' First 'Missing Link' Trailer and More
- Today in Movie Culture: How 'Fantastic Beasts 2' Connects to 'Harry Potter,' Why the Grinch is Right and More
After Marvel Studios reportedly vetted more than 70 women filmmakers for the job, then the selection was down to three shortlisted favorites, Cate Shortland has been hired to direct the solo Black Widow movie, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Shortland is a relatively unknown filmmaker who hails from Australia. But she’s been a big deal on the festival circuit with award-winning shorts and features, the latter including the 2012 Nazi drama Lore and last year’s Sundance selection Berlin Syndrome.
Apparently, Scarlett Johansson, who will reprise her role as Black Widow for the Marvel Cinematic Universe installment, pushed for Shortland. Find out more below.
Previous update: Fans have been begging Marvel for a Black Widow movie for almost a decade and now the…