- Comics on Film: What We Know about 'Green Lantern Corps' and Tom Cruise
- Today in Movie Culture: Superman vs. Skeletor, the Trademarks of a Peter Berg Movie and More
- The Week in Movie News: First Look at Live-Action 'Mulan,' Dora the Explorer' and More
- Today in Movie Culture: 'Avengers: Infinity War' as a Video Game, Imagining Tom Cruise as Green Lantern and More
- DVD Obscura: 'Lean on Pete,' 'Ismael's Ghosts,' 'Hitler's Hollywood' and Much More
The original Star Wars is a mashup of influences from sci-fi serials and samurai movies, so it makes sense that other installments of the franchise would also take a lot of inspiration from other classic films. That’s the case with the upcoming Solo: A Star Wars Story, which goes back before the events of the first movie to show the early adventures of Han Solo, Chewbacca and Lando Calrissian.
Lawrence Kasdan, who worked on the scripts for The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and Star Wars: The Force Awakens, teamed up with his son Jon for the Solo screenplay, and during their collaboration they looked to favorite movies and books they wanted to evoke with the new Star Wars Story.
Below is a list of these influences, mostly stories of gangsters…