- 'The Equalizer 2' Comes Home, Plus This Week's New Digital HD and VOD Releases
- Today in Movie Culture: Alternate 'Fantastic Beasts' Endings, 'Detective Pikachu' Easter Eggs and More
- Today in Movie Culture: 'Harry Potter' and 'Fantastic Beasts' Recap, a Tribute to Exposition Scenes and More
- Comic Book Legend Stan Lee, 95, Passes Away
- Watch the First 'Pokemon: Detective Pikachu' Trailer; Here's Everything We Know
The original Star Wars is a mashup of influences from sci-fi serials and samurai movies, so it makes sense that other installments of the franchise would also take a lot of inspiration from other classic films. That’s the case with the upcoming Solo: A Star Wars Story, which goes back before the events of the first movie to show the early adventures of Han Solo, Chewbacca and Lando Calrissian.
Lawrence Kasdan, who worked on the scripts for The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and Star Wars: The Force Awakens, teamed up with his son Jon for the Solo screenplay, and during their collaboration they looked to favorite movies and books they wanted to evoke with the new Star Wars Story.
Below is a list of these influences, mostly stories of gangsters…