- Patrick Stewart Joins the 'Charlie's Angels' Reboot; Here's Everything We Know
- The First 'Captain Marvel' Trailer Has Landed; Here's Everything We Know So Far
- DVD Obscura: Ethan Hawke Shines in 'First Reformed,' Plus More Essentials for Home Video Fans
- First 'Captain Marvel' Trailer Arrives Tuesday Morning; Here's Everything We Know So Far
- Today in Movie Culture: 'Predator' Meets 'Home Alone,' Imagining Michael B. Jordan as Superman and More
Jeremy Renner is not taking over for Tom Cruise on the ‘Mission: Impossible’ franchise, Paramount wants you to know. The studio took issue with an Extra interview with Renner where the actor commented on the replacement rumors: “I’d be up for it, and Tom wants me to do it. I’d be happy to be a part of it.” The show reportedly left out the part where Renner added, “I don’t think that’s ever really a possibility.” Renner was more coy when he talked to Moviefone on Monday, addressing the rumors by saying, “People can talk about it all they want. It’s Tom’s baby and he’s the face of the franchise.”
After Paramount objected, Extra revised their website to say that Renner “shot down the rumor” that he’s replacing Cruise.
As fans know, Renner is confirmed to take over a different spy franchise with ‘The Bourne Legacy.’ He’ll play a new character, but one who went through the same Treadstone training as Matt Damon’s Jason Bourne.
Look for our full interview with Renner — in which he talks about ‘Mission: Impossible,’ ‘Bourne’ and the eagerly anticipated ‘Avengers’ — closer to the release of ‘Ghost Protocol.’
Follow Moviefone on Twitter
Like Moviefone on Facebook