It’s Official: ‘Star Wars,’ Marvel Movies Leaving Netflix for Disney Streaming Service

Thumbnail for 189977

Say goodbye to “Star Wars” flicks and Marvel Cinematic Universe movies, Netflix subscribers: Disney is officially moving those films to its new streaming service.

Disney CEO Bob Iger confirmed the news during an appearance at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch Media’s communications and entertainment conference in Beverly Hills on Thursday, where he also revealed a few more small details about the company’s new venture.

“We’ve now decided we will put the Marvel and ‘Star Wars’ movies on this app as well,” Iger told attendees.

When Disney announced back in August that it was creating its own streaming service, it was apparent that more traditional Disney flicks (like its animated features and Pixar pictures) would eventually be leaving Netflix. What remained unclear at the time, however, was whether or not the “Star Wars” and Marvel films (more recent Disney acquisitions) would be included in that exodus. Netflix reportedly tried to make a deal to keep those movies, but was ultimately unsuccessful in swaying the Mouse House. Now all that remains to be seen is when all the Disney-adjacent titles currently on Netflix will expire.

Iger also revealed on Thursday that the Disney streaming service will debut sometime in late 2019, though no official launch date has been determined). The service will likely produce four or five original feature films, in addition to several original TV series and TV movies, the CEO said.

[via: Variety]

‘It’ Sequel, ‘Chapter Two,’ Is Officially Moving Forward

Thumbnail for 189969

Prepare yourself, ’cause “IT” is officially coming back. The plan for two movies — one focused on the young Losers Club, and a sequel as they’re older — is moving forward.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, New Line is firming up plans for “Chapter Two,” as “It” readies to open this Friday. The positive reviews are hoped to be a sign of a big box office opening.

One of the “It” screenwriters, Gary Dauberman, closed a deal to write the sequel, also adapted from Stephen King’s expansive novel. Director Andy Muschietti seems ready to return, but he reportedly has no deal in place. (Maybe they are all waiting to see how “It” does in its opening weekend.)

THR’s sources added that what’s currently being called “Chapter Two” will take place 27 years later, but flashbacks will figure into the story, meaning the first movie’s young cast may return. When the sequel script is finished, the studio will head out to cast the older stars.

Andres Muschietti previously told Variety the plan was to start filming this coming spring 2018.

“We’ll probably have a script for the second part in January. Ideally, we would start prep in March. Part one is only about the kids. Part two is about these characters 30 years later as adults, with flashbacks to 1989 when they were kids.”

The first “IT” movie opens this Friday, September 8. A release date of sometime in 2019 is being eyed.

Want more stuff like this? Like us on Facebook.

2017 Toronto Film Festival: Our Most Anticipated Movies, Performances and More

Thumbnail for 189965

Within the span of three weeks this September, many of the movies that will be up for the year’s major awards will have premiered at one of a few film festivals around the world. The largest and arguably most influential of those festivals is the Toronto International Film Festival, which runs from September 7 through September 17, and showcases well over 100 movies from around the world.

Fandango will be in attendance for this year’s festival north of the border, and for those who are also going – or even keeping an eye on it from afar – here is a rundown of what we’re most looking forward to.

Our 5 Most Anticipated Movies

Downsizing

Who stars: Matt Damon, Christoph Waltz, Kristen Wiig, Hong Chau

Why we’re…
Read More